Greetings, and Welcome to The Small Shoppe

After the example of my Chestertonian mentor, Dr. R. Kenton Craven, I here offer my ponderings and musings for your edification and/or education.

You are welcome to read what is written here, and encouraged to do so. Appropriate comments may well be posted.

Michael Francis James Lee
The Not-so-Small Shoppe-Keeper

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I have been suffering, on and off, for many years with low and mid back pain.  Over the years I have seen both chiropractors and medical doctors.

Recently, approximately a month or so ago, I had a flare-up of extreme back pain, that -- contrary to my usual pattern -- did not subside after 3 or 4 days.  I decided it was time to see my primary care physician, and let her know of the problem.

She is an excellent physician; the very best doctor by whom I have been treated in my entire life.  Her genuine concern was quite obvious. She ordered an immediate x-ray, and she was able to get me in quickly for an appointment at a local spine center.

The doctor who saw me at the spine center seems to be a fine physician as well. He ordered an MRI, which was completed once the "peer reviewers" approved of the procedure.

The MRI showed in greater, "pinpoint" detail what had been indicated by the x-ray.  I have two compressed and deteriorating discs, which are impacting the sciatic nerve.  On the MRI, a red, protruding object, looking something like a jellybean is clearly visible -- and seems to be the thing that is contacting the sciatic nerve.

The considered opinion of the doctor at the spine center, given my extreme level of pain, and the fact that I have gone, in a matter of weeks, from walking unassisted, to using a cane, to using a walker, and now to using a wheelchair, is that spinal injections are the next effective step.  He set me up for the procedure to take place on April 15th.  He wanted to to do it right away, but because my insurance is through the "marketplace" (read "Obamacare"), he had to schedule it out at least two weeks, so that those charged with "preauthorizing" such procedures would have sufficient time for their task.

I will not be getting the spinal injections that I need on April 15th after all. Those who are paid to find reasons to deny coverage have done their jobs well, and I was told, in the late afternoon on April 7th, that I was denied. My doctor will now have to come up with some sort of treatment (which the deniers will have to approve) that will be considered "conservative care." I will need to undergo that treatment for at least 6 weeks -- and the two weeks of pain, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and assorted medications I have already been through, of course, do not count toward the required six weeks of "conservative care."

I spent the remaining hours of yesterday afternoon and evening moving in, out, and among various negative, unpleasant, and mentally numb states of mind.

Evening came, and then Morning came; the second day.

As I had my morning coffee, graciously pre-prepared by a friend who visited me late last evening, I collected my thoughts, and made a conscious effort to pray.

These are the words that came:

Dear Blesseds Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima,
You knew and endured suffering, accepting it joyfully for the conversion of poor sinners.
Help me now to accept and embrace whatever suffering is to come my way, for whatever time lies ahead.  Help me to do so without complaining, and to be joyful.
Help me to offer my suffering in reparation for my own sins, for the sins committed by others due to my influence or bad example, and for the conversion and salvation of other poor sinners.
Help me also to offer my sufferings lovingly for the consolation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Amen.

I may well fail miserably in this resolve, yet I hope by God's grace, and the helpful prayers of Francisco and Jacinta, to start over again, after each failure, and continue to offer my pain and trials as prayerful sacrifices.

----------------------------------

For those who would like to do something similar, with whatever sufferings come their way in life, I offer the following Fatima Prayers:

MORNING OFFERING
O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary (here kiss your Brown scapular as a sign of your consecration – this carries a partial indulgence). I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the altars throughout the world, joining with it the offering of my every thought, word and action of this day.
O my Jesus, I desire today to gain every indulgence and merit I can, and I offer them together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, that She may best apply them to the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart. Precious Blood of Jesus, save us! Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us! Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!
PARDON PRAYER
My God, I believe, I adore, I hope and I love Thee! I beg pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope and do not love Thee.
ANGEL’S PRAYER
O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifference by which He is offended. By the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg the conversion of poor sinners.
EUCHARISTIC PRAYERMost Holy Trinity, I adore Thee! My God, my God, I love Thee in the Most Blessed Sacrament!
SACRIFICE PRAYER
O My Jesus, it is for love of Thee, in reparation for the offenses committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and for the conversion of poor sinners.
DECADE PRAYER
O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy.
To Learn More about Our Lady of Fatima, and to do so in Communion with the Magisterium of the Catholic Church, visit: http://wafusa.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment