Greetings, and Welcome to The Small Shoppe

After the example of my Chestertonian mentor, Dr. R. Kenton Craven, I here offer my ponderings and musings for your edification and/or education.

You are welcome to read what is written here, and encouraged to do so. Appropriate comments may well be posted.

Michael Francis James Lee
The Not-so-Small Shoppe-Keeper

Saturday, March 28, 2015

"Go to Joseph," The Good Bishop Told Me

Bishop David L. Ricken,
of the Diocese of Green Bay
I just learned yesterday, from a friend and business associate, that a mutual friend has been told by Bishop David Ricken, to "Go to Joseph."  CONTEXT: This person is in need of a stable and sufficient work/income situation, and when this was made known to our Bishop, the Bishop invited this person to come and see him.  In the context of conversation, I am told, Bishop Ricken directed that the person make a novena to St. Joseph, at the National Shrine, located locally in the crypt area of St. Norbert Abbey in De Pere, Wisconsin. 

As both a testimony and an encouragement, for this friend and others, let me say a few words as a veteran of this same directive from our Bishop.

I wrote a letter, back in August or September, pouring out my heart -- as a son to a father -- to Bishop Ricken about my dire job and financial situation. When Bishop Ricken, at length, replied, I felt a bit deflated when -- instead of a job offer somewhere -- he told me to make such a novena at the aforesaid National Shrine.  Yet, as one of these Catholics who was raised "back in the day," I reasoned that I, like Naman the leper, would certainly have done something difficult -- had the bishop suggested it -- thus, having asked him to intervene, I should now simply obey his direction.

Thus, I made my novena, accompanied usually by some friends who were supportive of my situation.  At the conclusion of the nine days, I sent Bishop Ricken a messaage, letting him know I had finished my novena -- still hoping that perhaps he had a job for me somewhere in the diocesan structure. Again, I was tempted to deflation at his very prompt response: "Great Michael! Now make another one!"

After a quick self-reminder of my commitment to obey my bishop in this matter (as I strive to do in all things), I dutifully -- if not entirely cheerfully -- began a second novena immediately.  

At the completion of this novena, I sent what I thought was a preemptive message to Bishop Ricken: "Dear Bishop, I've completed the second novena, I am supposing I am to begin a third one."  Within several minutes, the bishop replied, saying "Now, make a novena of thanksgiving, thanking St. Joseph for finding you the perfect job."  

To say that my shoulders sunk a bit, would be an understatement.  But, again, I reminded myself that I had committed to obeying my bishop, and I would carry it through to whatever end.

At the end of this novena of thanksgiving, I again sent the bishop a message, saying "Dear Bishop Ricken, I have completed the novena of thanksgiving. Do I do another one now?"  His answer really floored me: "No Michael. Now you let go, and just trust that God has already taken care of everything, and St. Joseph has obtained the perfect job for you."  That, believe me, was a very tall order.

After several moments of empty silence, I replied "Yes Bishop. Thank you for your prayers and support."

During the next few days, a few possibilities -- not at all certainties -- came into play.  Then, on the 9th day, I was hired for a position that has been ideal to my situation and needs.  That same day, I was invited to consider another opportunity -- working from home -- which would not conflict with my new job.  Since then, I have also been enlisted for a second freelance opportunity, which is also something I can do from virtually anywhere.

When I wrote to Bishop Ricken, I was within 60 days of being homeless.  Since then, I have found the perfect job situation, the perfect living situation -- with the most wonderful and loving landlords I could ever have imagined, and have the added blessing of living within a few blocks of some of my dearest friends.

If someone ever suggests to you, that you make a novena to St. Joseph, I advise you to do so.  If Bishop Ricken ever so directs you, I will go a step further: You would be insane to disregard, or undervalue his direction.  The bishop isn't playing around.  He's a man of prayer and great faith, and when he gives you St. Joseph, he is giving you a proven and trusted friend.  When Bishop Ricken gave me St. Joseph, Bishop Ricken gave me so much more than if he had simply called me over to his office, and hired me for some task.

For anyone interested, here is the novena of petition that I used:

Novena to St. Joseph the Worker

St. Joseph, by the work of your hands and the sweat of your brow, you supported Jesus and Mary, and had the Son of God as your fellow worker. Teach me to work as you did, with patience and perseverance, for God and for those whom God has given me to support. Teach me to see in my fellow workers the Christ who desires to be in them, that I may always be charitable and forbearing towards all. Grant me to look upon work with the eyes of faith, so that I shall recognize in it my share in God's own creative activity and in Christ's work of our redemption, and so take pride in it. When it is pleasant and productive, remind me to give thanks to God for it. And when it is burdensome, teach me to offer it to God, in reparation for my sins and the sins of the world.

O good father Joseph! I beg you, by all your sufferings, sorrows and joys,to obtain for me what I ask.
(insert your specific employment request here.)

Obtain for all those who have asked my prayers,everything that is useful to them in the plan of God. Be near to me in my last moments, that I may eternally sing the praises of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Amen.

(Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be)

And, here is the Novena of Thanksgiving -- be sure to note that I ended it with a direct quote from the direction given me by Bishop Ricken:

IN PRAISE
(Note:This prayer was taken from the booklet "Devotions to SaintJoseph" by Brian Moore, S.J., printed and published by theSociety of St. Paul. This may be prayed in thanksgiving for favors granted through St. Joseph's intercession.)

All the hosts of heaven praise you, Joseph,
for in your arms you carried the Son of God.
Alone of all men you were found worthy to be
the husband of the Virgin Mother,
and to carry in your arms the Son of God.
He who ruled all things obeyed you,
and He who teaches the whole creation
was taught by you.
The Church on earth sings your praise,
for in your lowly house she had her beginning,
for you alone of all men were found worthy to be
thehusband of the Church's Mother,
and to carry in your arms the Christ
whose Body she is.
I thank the Dear Lord,
The Blessed Mother,
and You, Saint Joseph,
for finding the perfect job for me.”*
Through Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Amen
(Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be)


*This quote is from an email from Bishop David Ricken, of the Diocese of Green Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment