Greetings, and Welcome to The Small Shoppe

After the example of my Chestertonian mentor, Dr. R. Kenton Craven, I here offer my ponderings and musings for your edification and/or education.

You are welcome to read what is written here, and encouraged to do so. Appropriate comments may well be posted.

Michael Francis James Lee
The Not-so-Small Shoppe-Keeper

Saturday, March 21, 2015

A Revealing Look at a "Catholic" Cult ~ And Some Important Warning Signs!

Book Review

Spiritual Blackmail: My Journey Through a Catholic Cult
by Sherri Schettler
Lifelong Habits, LLC, 2014



I received this book today in the mail, and read it in one sitting. Sherri Schettler offers the painful benefit of her experiences of being misled, misdirected, and shamefully used by "charismatic" figures who employed typical brainwashing and cult leadership practices to control their followers.

Schettler performs an invaluable service while sharing her harrowing journey into, and finally out of a sect that she mistakenly had come to believe was the "only true Catholic Church."

Her book is well written, and is gripping. I found myself picking it right back up again, after deciding to take a short break; I simply had to read "just one more chapter."

Readers will be educated as to the types of arguments and deceptions used by those who seek to recruit and manipulate followers, as they build "religious movements" that amount to nothing more than self-gratifying personality cults.

I believe that Schettler's book is extremely timely and important. Having had a much shorter, yet frighteningly similar experience myself, with the Franciscan Brothers Minor – in Fort Wayne, Indiana (2012), I know "Catholic Cults" are not only to be found today among radical traditionalists. They exist even among new "religious communities" that have sprung up within the Church since Vatican ll, and the dawn of the "New Evangelization."


2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Lee,

    I was wondering if you might be able to expand on your experience with the Franciscan Brother's Minor? They are growing, I think. What was your observation?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joe,

      While I do not plan, at present, to expand on my experience -- here on my blog -- I am willing to discuss it with you privately, should you care to do so. If you reply with an email address (which I will not publish here), I will contact you.

      God Bless,
      Michael Lee

      Delete